Thursday, December 07, 2006

Hanging In There

Mom has ups and downs in this recovery process. On the down days, I usually don't post anything, because frankly, I only like to post with good news! But yesterday was an "up day!" Definitely worth sharing.

The doctors are able to put a valve on Mom's trach tube that enables her to pass a bit of air past her vocal cords so she can speak. When they first put the valve on, Mom was actually too tired to talk at all, but yesterday she was able to speak to Dad in a whisper! Of course, it was so good for Dad to be able to converse with her after a full month of not really knowing what she was thinking or feeling. She tires very easily, but Dad was able to get in some good conversation time with her yesterday. Dad asked Mom a variety of questions which she was able to answer. She said that she is only really able to do one thing at a time; it takes her full concentration to either talk, or to squeeze with her fingers, but at this time she is unable to do both simultaneously.

Dad explained to Mom what the next steps in her recovery will be: she will likely be moved to a hospital in Folsom within the next week or two as an intermediary place before she begins rehabilitation. Dad asked, "Can you keep hanging in there?" and Mom replied, "I can hang in there."

Later in the evening the doctors put the valve on again. Mom was tired by this point, but she could say "yes" or "no." Dad told her that Nathan and I will be getting married in the hospital so she can be there, and she said "yes," which I think was her way of conveying approval. Dad told her he'd pick out a nice hat for her to wear, and Mom said "yes" again. She still needs lots of rest, but when she is able to be awake, her mind is quite alert.

4 Comments:

At 9:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sandy you will be a beautiful Mother of the Bride, and Sarah, I just know God will bless you and Nathan for choosing to do this, what an honor you are giving your Mother. God is strengthening us all through this process you are going through Sandy, he is uniting us, and blessing us, and teaching us! We all love you soooooo much dear friend, keep up the good work, fight, you are going to make it through all of this...and with a wonderful loving husband holding your hand on the side!

Joy in our Lord,
Heather

 
At 3:01 PM, Blogger North Yuke said...

Actually, Sarah, there's something else she said. I got to talk with her yesterday too. And for once when I was there, I got to listen to her! An amazing thing. Your dad said, "Hey Lou, did we tell you that Sarah's going to get married in the hospital, wherever Sandy is?" Your mom smiled big and said, "How cool is that".

Here are some other things she said you all might be interested in...

The first thing she said to me when they popped the valve back on was, "Had everyone given up hope in me?" To which I replied. "Never...no, you would be amazed at how many people are praying for you, no, never, we never gave up hope...you were in a dangerous place, but we kept praying...." and she said, "Please keep praying".

I told her, "It might be easy to get discouraged, just take your time and keep working at it." She said, "I'm an optimist, why wouldn't I keep trying?" Wow.

I said, "I heard you're able to move your fingers a little", she said, "they say a little, I say a LOT".

I asked her what she's been thinking about laying there when she couldn't talk, she said, "i don't want to go there, right now". and she also said "I hope I don't regret any words I've said before..." To which I replied, "oh yeah I heard you told Joy Waggoner 'Lou's never been fine'. And I think you're right about that..." She laughed and said, "That's what I mean".

I got her to laugh pretty hard at one point. I said, "hey I was worried last time when I was here that what you were mouthing to us was, "my nose itches'" She scrunched up her nose like it really did itch then laughed out "loud". (Her voice is pretty faint even with the valve.)

So that was some of my conversation with Sandy. I have to say it was very moving to hear her quick wit and complex ideas. It was good confirmation that the words she's been mouthing are full of meaning.

One more observation. This next step is probably going to challenge the Palmers a great deal. John has said to me more than once that when Sandy has visitors she brightens up noticably. Yesterday he had tried for about an hour to get her to talk, though she was tired and she wouldn't. When I came in she suddenly wanted to chat again.

The observation is, if you can get to Folsom, after Sandy transfers, your presence in her room is huge. I bet John will get weary. Therapy is hard work. Consider making trips there to see them. She feels your hand on her arm, and even pressure when you squeeze. This is a really good time for us in this Nevada County community to be present with them. It is a bit of a drive. Go for it. There are no decorations in any room that will be more cherished than you.

Also, Sarah, as you plan for the wedding, please call us. Music, reception food, flowers, whatever it is... you've got good support right here, just ask...

 
At 4:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome!! Awesome!! Awesome!! So wonderful to hear that she has a "voice" again! Praise the LORD! We'll just keep praying for continued healing!
-Daryl Winslow

 
At 8:50 AM, Blogger jewellspring said...

This is GREAT news. Thank you so much for sharing. Lou, its great to hear from you, too. I think some of us have been very hesitant to invade her privacy and weren't sure what the best was for friends beyond her immediate circle. Thanks for the words of encouragement.

We miss Sandy a great deal and look forward to seeing her.

Jenny Wells

 

Post a Comment

<< Home